This story is from September 20, 2024

It’s a long road to relief for male acid attack survivors

It’s a long road to relief for male acid attack survivors
New Delhi: Acid attack survivor Durjan Singh has spent the last many years running to hospitals and courts to get compensation. The 78-year-old who lost vision in both his eyes in the attack16 years ago, said, "It wasn't for any fault of mine. Not only my life, but the life of my family got scorched." On Thursday, after a long legal battle, Singh became Delhi's first male acid attack survivor to get additional compensation under the Pradhan Mantri National Relief Fund.In Aug 2008, when Singh was returning home after dropping his granddaughter at school, an unknown individual approached him and threw some liquid on his face. "Police never found the person who threw the acid on me and why. So, the perpetrators never got punished. But here I am, running from pillar to post begging for financial assistance for my surgeries," said the septuagenarian, who lives with his daughter, his sole caregiver.Singh said that while getting the mandatory compensation is difficult for any acid attack survivor, the process is worse for male sufferers because there are no legal provisions for them to avail compensation.
Singh got his first compensation almost nine years after the attack on him. The state Acid Attack Victim Compensation Scheme providing financial assistance for acid attack survivors began in 2013. Those who want additional compensation have to avail it through PMNRF.Shaheen Malik, an acid attack survivor and founder of Brave Souls Foundation, which fights for acid attack survivors, said, "The policy on acid attack survivors is not gender neutral. It states that only if the male acid attack survivor has severe injuries can he apply for additional compensation. This shouldn't be the case. They should be allowed to avail the compensation as women survivors do."Singh said, "I first approached the court for compensation under the state compensation scheme. After a legal struggle, I was awarded a compensation of Rs 7 lakh in 2017. But that was not enough. Very early into surgical treatment, the money got exhausted. My daughter took loans to keep my treatment going. But after she exhausted her means, I had to apply for compensation under PMNRF."In Jan last year, Singh applied for the additional compensation of Rs 1 lakh. "I was made to go from desk to desk without being awarded compensation. So, I had to knock on the doors of Delhi High Court." On Thursday, the high court granted Singh the amount he had sought for his medical treatment.Stating that the process to get compensation for a male acid survivor should be easier, Singh insisted a crime was a crime, whether against men or women. "I hope that for other male acid attack survivors, getting compensation becomes easier and they don't have to approach the courts."Malik, whose foundation assisted Singh in his legal battle, thought it was unfortunate that acid attack survivors had to rely on NGOs to fight for them. "Govt should work to help the survivors but this responsibility is being borne by NGOs and civil rights groups," she noted.

Banner Insert
author
About the AuthorRidhima Gupta

Covers women, children, disability and urban-poor issues.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media